498a.org 498a Explained Resources News Forums About Us

This page deals with the Legal side of the "New Domestic Violence Act"

Though our Legal experts are analyzing the law right now, it seems that if you have been falsely accused of Domestic Violence, you have no recourse under the law. The law itself legalizes extortion by your wife/live-in partner. Also, your wife can occupy your house, if she was living with you there, even if the house doesn't belong to you. As of now, we do not have any legal advise as the law says that unless proven otherwise, the woman's word should be considered true. So, if the case boils down to your word versus her word, her word prevails. We do realize that it is not fair as generally, there are no witnesses to what happens in a house between a couple, but given this arbitrary law, if you have been falsely accused, then we can only empathize and pray for you.

In the meantime, if you suspect that you could potentially be falsely accused of domestic violence, then please collect all evidences that you can. Record everything and if possible even set up spycams in your house. Generally, the set up can be done for less than Rs. 20,000, which is what you will have to pay anyway, if you are falsely accused.

Good luck and God bless !

  • _____________________________________________________________________________